Senior WordPress Web Developer
Senior WordPress Web Developer
Job Title: Senior WordPress Web Developer
Department: Professional Services
Reports to: Team Lead of Web Development
Term: Full-Time Permanent
Primary Location: Remote in Canada
Salary range: $85,000 – $95,000
Help us build a better way for associations with the world’s first Member Data Platform.
Associations create communities and advocate for progress. They deserve best-in-class software so they can focus more on making our world stronger. Come build it with us!
We’re one of Canada’s fastest-growing startups with a world-class SaaS product and an in-house professional services team. Our roots are in Ottawa, Ontario, but we’re remote, so our team works from all across Canada. We’re creating new roles and adding to our team of developers, data analysts, product owners, UX researchers, project managers, sales, marketing, and customer experience specialists. Our customer base continues to grow throughout Canada and the US – we doubled last year and will again this year. We’re always on the lookout for our next new Wicketeer to join and grow with us.
Learn about Wicket’s culture, benefits, hiring process, and other opportunities at wicket.io/careers
Wicket is looking for an experienced Senior WordPress Web Developer to join our team. Reporting directly to the Team Lead – Web Development, the ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in web development within a digital/technical agency environment and a strong background in WordPress, WooCommerce, and PHP. Strong front-end and back-end development skills are desired. As a WordPress Developer, you will be involved in the hands-on implementation of membership-based web projects and eCommerce solutions across the full stack for Wicket clients.
Responsibilities of this role:
- Work with the Team Lead to architect solutions that meet the client’s expectations in WordPress and WooCommerce
- Write project implementation code with quality, reusability and security in mind
- Work on multiple projects across the tech stack
- Review and contribute to functional specifications and provide estimates of effort
- When required answer questions or communicate with clients to clarify requirements
Technical knowledge requirements:
- Strong background as a generalist web developer (both front and back-end)
- PHP development experience
- Previous experience and/or solid understanding of WordPress including the Gutenberg block editor is required
- Experience building frontend component-based architecture.
- Experience configuring and using the core WooCommerce plugin. Additional experience with addon plugins such as WooCommerce Subscriptions, WooCommerce Memberships and Teams for WooCommerce Memberships is an asset
- Proven experience with LAMP stack in production projects is a must including Linux command line knowledge.
- Knowledge and experience using GIT version control
- Excellent understanding of web technologies, protocols and systems
(i.e. HTTP, REST, APIs, JSON, CMSs, CRMs, Mobile Web etc.)
- Experience building integrations is an asset
- Experience with Laravel or other MVC PHP frameworks is an asset
- Experience with web accessibility standards is an asset
Desirable soft skills:
- Good written and verbal communication in English
- Analytical thinker and decisive
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at once
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work remotely from anywhere in Canada
- Competitive salary
- Competitive health benefits (dental, vision, paramedical, prescriptions, out-of-country care) that extend to programs including mental health, employee family assistance, virtual health care services, and Best Doctors
- An annual wellness stipend towards gym memberships, fitness equipment, sports fees, etc.
- An annual professional development stipend and dedicated time for professional development
- Highly intentional, progressive practices around feedback, team-building, skills and career development, and peer-to-peer recognition
- An equal opportunity employer who prioritizes diversity and inclusion
- Awesome culture and a growing team that has been around for over 20 years!
- Certified Great Place to Work
- Paid vacation time, paid personal “life leave” and your birthday off
- We love dogs, trivia, and wine/beers/soda on Friday
We are accepting applications for remote workers from anywhere in Canada.
When you apply please provide a cover letter clearly explaining how your background is a good fit for this position.
Wicket is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
More about Wicket and the problem we solve
We build and sell the world’s first Member Data Platform (MDP). Not only are we building a new product, but we’ve created a new software category.
Our customers are associations which are membership-based organizations and nonprofits. They provide services and benefits to a specific group, profession, or community. Nearly every industry you can think of has an active association, so our reach is vast and diverse. For example, we have a customer who serves as a think tank for better public policies in Canada, and another who acts as a voice for renewable energy and storage solutions to power Canada’s future.
Until Wicket, associations were stuck managing their data through antiquated Association Management Software (AMS). Worse, this software tries to do it all – data, content management, email marketing, event management, e-commerce and so on – but one software can’t be the best at everything.
We knew there had to be a better way, so we reinvented how associations manage and engage with their members. Wicket frees association’s data to integrate with best-in-class software including MailChimp, WordPress, WooCommerce and Tableau. The list goes on and we’re always adding to it.
Wicket also has a very strong Professional Services Team, which originated as an independent digital web agency, with 20+ years of experience building and maintaining web solutions. The services team is a very important part of Wicket and is made up of experienced UX researchers, designers, developers and project managers, designing and building powerful websites using WordPress and WooCommerce. The Wicket Services Team collaborates very closely with the product team, tightly integrating the web solutions we build with Wicket’s platform.